The attorneys at Trucker Huss advise employers, multi-employer trusts, other plan sponsors, business associates and vendors on the applicability and requirements of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), as amended by the HITECH Act, and their implementing regulations, and applicable state privacy law. Our attorneys’ efforts have focused on:
- Keeping clients aware of legislative, regulatory, judicial and enforcement developments addressing
- Privacy and Security Rules
- Transaction and Code Sets Standards
- Health Plan Identifier Standard
- Enforcement Rule
- Helping clients document, prepare and implement policies and procedures and notices and other compliance documentation
- Preparing and negotiating business associate agreements and underlying vendor agreements
- Advising clients on “breaches” of protected health information
- Preparing training tools and conducting HIPAA training for client workforce members
- Counseling clients on investigations of complaints and other inquiries by the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Civil Rights (OCR)
- Advising clients on the audit requirements of the OCR
We also assist our clients through a series of newsletters on new HIPAA requirements, webinars and live programs. Our attorneys also frequently speak at industry conferences and webinars on HIPAA topics.
If you'd like to know more
For more information regarding this area of the Firm’s practice, please contact Mary Powell and Elizabeth Loh.