The Trucker Huss multiemployer, Taft-Hartley plan practice serves a wide range of clients. We have the distinction of being counsel to the world’s largest multiemployer pension plan as well as counsel to small, single-state and single-employer plans.
Representing the Board of Trustees is our primary service for multiemployer plans. We are not an adjunct to a labor law practice and we do not engage in collective bargaining. The advice we provide Boards of Trustees, and their administrative staff and related professional advisors, is based on years of experience working specifically with these types of arrangements. We focus on providing our clients with practical solutions to the problems these plans encounter. Legal advice may be only a part of these solutions.
As free-standing business enterprises, these plans offer unique situations and require an understanding of the business and real-world environment in which Boards of Trustees operate. The Firm’s activities include:
- Designing, drafting and implementing plans
- Interfacing with the IRS and DOL
- Facilitating employer withdrawal liability issues
- Advising on employee relations issues with the trust fund staff
- Addressing a wide range of investment and fiduciary issues
- Assisting the Board of Trustees with policy development and implementation
- Conducting “shuttle diplomacy” between union and management
- Working cooperatively with third party administrators and other plan providers on actuarial issues, administration, data processing and investment matters
Our success with multiemployer and Taft-Hartley plans comes from our many years of experience seeing and confronting the unique situations that these plans face.